Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

SNAPSHOT OF A POET (#6): "WHAT ARE YOU READING?"

[Poets are invited to participate in this series of snapshots of poets' reading habits. For information, go HERE.]


Ed Baker on Reading


1)  What are you reading now?  As well, what is in your To-Read-Soon stack?


I'm reading Leonard Shlain’s  SEX, TIME, and POWER:




I am also re-reading my unpublished book, NEIGHBOR.


[Eileen's Note:  Here are two poems from Ed's manuscript:]



Dead Ignition


green 

station 
wagon

parked 

between 
commitments

shadows 

moved

all inclinations


push 

it
on


far 

beyond 
dead 
battery

whine
had been 

unwelcome 
then & there

from here 

to there 
jumper

cables 

long
stretch 
to 
start

her 

long-thin 
body

hard 

against 
spark 



*





A View


I hardly knew 

her then

there was something 

particular that slowed

me


leaves 

suddenly 
playing 
in
warm 

breeze


deliberately 

I had kept 
my 
distance

to get a better 

view
across the way


for days shades 

up

blinds open


nothing was 

said or done

for days 

thinking 
meant

more 

of
so


what 

was 
just 
beyond

going 
over 




1 comment:

  1. about 10 years before Shlain wrote this terrific book
    ((which followed his: The Alphabet Versus the Goddess)
    (both good reads)
    I found and watched a neat movie: Quest For Fire.))

    have discovered Leonard Shlain a bit too late.... had he yet been alive
    I think that I would seek him out..... maybe send him the 'what of' that
    occupies my Mind/Time productions ?

    ReplyDelete