Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Monday, January 13, 2014

GALATEA RESURRECTS IS FRESH!

I started Galatea Resurrects (A Poetry Engagement) when blogs were just taking off.  I found Blogger to be user-friendly enough for me to start a space for readers' engagements/reviews of poetry publications.  I didn't anticipate I'd still be doing it today -- but I suppose that such attests to how there still aren't enough spaces for engaging with poetry, even as poem-making has taken off.  Last year, I thought the next issue would be my last...but, like, with this Issue No. 21, Galatea Resurrects presented 78 new reviews as well as review coverage for the first time to 20 presses.  So, managing the thing wreaks havoc on my poor back (all that computer work formatting!) but I guess I'll continue for now...

... especially since I continue to be humbled by the generosity of Galatea Resurrects' VOLUNTEER reviewers:  I don't take your time and attention for granted (especially as most of you are poets).  THANK YOU!

As well, I like having Galatea Resurrects around as an excuse to write poetry reviews not assigned to Moi.  That is, I try to be open to reviewing anything.  I just read as widely as I can and whatever compels me to engage with them will be the books I'll have ended up reviewing.  An unmediated effect between me and the poem. So, for Galatea Resurrects' 21st issue, these are the ones I ended up reviewing:


SISTER, BLOOD AND BONE by Paula Cary 

PSYCHEDELIC NORWAY by John Colburn  

DOOR OF THIN SKINS by Shira Dentz 

THE UNFINISHED: BOOKS I-VI by Mark DuCharme 

HOUSES: A POEM by CB Follett 

HE LOOKED BEYOND MY FAULTS AND SAW MY NEEDS and DÉJÀ VU DINER, both by Leonard Gontarek 

AND SO FOR YOU THERE IS NO HEARTBREAK by K. Lorraine Graham 

pleth by j/j hastain and Marthe Reed 

“SONG” in HUNGARIAN LANGART by Marton Koppany 

WHAT THE STONES REMEMBER: A LIFE REDISCOVERED by Patrick Lane 

BIG BAD ASTERISK* by Carlo Matos 

FROM BEHIND THE BLIND by Robert Murphy 

NEW ORLEANS VARIATIONS & PARIS OUROBOROS by Paul Pines 

A THING AMONG THINGS: THE ART OF JASPER JOHNS by John Yau 

THE CODICILS by Mark Young 


I actually didn't finish reviewing all the books that ended up on my To-Review List, which includes publications by Michael Leong, Alan Baker and Lev Rubinstein -- all I can do now is mention their names as encouragement for some readers to check out their fabulous poetry.

Anyway, I do believe Galatea Resurrects is the most fun online poetry journal around.  If you would like to be part of it by submitting a review copy of your book or volunteering to review others' books, go HERE for information.  Next review deadline: May 11, 2014.

And let me leave you with this vizpo work by Marton Koppany, "SONG," which I reviewed:






I'm open to all reviewing styles and my review of "SONG" might be considered an ars poetic.






No comments:

Post a Comment