Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

GALATEA RESURRECTS: WORKING THE WORK

I'm spending the week formatting the next issue of Galatea Resurrects.  This'll be the 22nd issue.  I can still take reviews probably through this Sunday, if there are any last-minute straggler-reviewers out there.

At the moment, I have 37 new reviews -- 35 of poetry publications and two coverages of the Fourth International Text Festival.  Thirty-seven reviews -- while this perhaps would be a hefty amount of review coverage by normative standards, I don't do "normal."  Thirty-seven is the least amount of reviews to be presented since our first issue debuted with 27 new reviews.  Lookit:


Issue 1: 27 new reviews
Issue 2: 39 new reviews (one project was reviewed twice by different reviewers)
Issue 3: 49 new reviews (two projects were each reviewed twice)
Issue 4: 61 new reviews (one project was reviewed thrice, and three projects were each reviewed twice)
Issue 5: 56 new reviews (four projects were each reviewed twice)
Issue 6: 56 new reviews (one project was reviewed twice)
Issue 7: 51 new reviews
Issue 8: 64 new reviews (3 projects were each reviewed twice)
Issue 9: 65 new reviews
Issue 10: 68 new reviews (1 project was reviewed thrice and 1 project was reviewed twice)
Issue 11: 72 new reviews (1 project was reviewed thrice)
Issue 12: 87 new reviews (1 project was reviewed twice)
Issue 13: 55 new reviews (1 project was reviewed twice)
Issue 14: 64 new reviews (3 projects were reviewed twice)
Issue 15: 72 new reviews (1 project was reviewed thrice and 4 projects were reviewed twice)
Issue 16: 73 new reviews (2 projects were reviewed twice)
Issue 17: 108 new reviews (3 projects were reviewed twice)
Issue 18: 104 new reviews (3 projects were reviewed twice)
Issue 19: 68 new reviews (1 project was reviewed twice)
Issue 20: 64 new reviews
Issue 21: 78 new reviews (2 projects were reviewed twice)

About a year or so ago, I started wondering about how long I'll continue Galatea Resurrects.  An easy answer was always -- I continue for as long as there's interest.  And, just this past issue we presented 78 reviews so, obviously, there's interest.  Maybe 37 reviews is still a good standard.  But it 's low by my maximalist tendencies, and does make me wonder again how long I'll keep it up.  I know I'll at least do a 23rd issue, the Winter 2014 issue that'll likely come out in November.  After that? You tell me -- I have been grateful to the roving band of volunteer reviewers that surface from the internet ether, but everyone's priorities shift over time ...

The deadline for review submissions for next issue has just been set for Nov. 1, 2014.  If interested, go HERE for list of review copies.  And, always, as Galatea Resurrects' editor, I have been and continue to be grateful to you poetry reviewers.  It's a labor of love but there is labor in addition to love, and I will abide by whatever decisions you all make for this online publication.  Of course, I am always looking for new reviewers, too.

Love,
Eileen



No comments:

Post a Comment