Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

POEM AFTER MERLE ROSEN'S ART

In February, "POSSIBILITY," a poem inspired by one of Merle Rosen's artworks was read during a reading celebrating the artist. Having received the Rosen Family's and Caza Sikes Gallery's permissions to post the inspiring artwork, I'm pleased to share the art and the poem it inspired. My thanks to Dos Madres Press and Grace Curtis for asking me to participate.



POSSIBILITY

Yes
I am
possibility. I am

here with arms
stretched wide 
open

to-
wards what
I know not

but anticipate with
sun warm
upon

my 
heart and
yours. Together we

will
share light.
Look at me

as
I begin
to open eyes.

Oh!
Such colors
on the blanket

you laid out
for me.
You

affirm
my hope
to mature into

color.
I am
mostly blank canvas

now. But we
know I
will

burgundy,
will turquoise,
will glow gold

after
opening eyes
towards a universe

seeing,
acknowledging, welcoming
little ol’ me.

How lovely the
ocean becoming
my

eyes
because I
see water. We

all
want to
be seen, thus

become.
Welcome my
possibility, and I

will
grow into
your cherished rainbow.

Already I’ve begun
with blue,
yellow …




(A Note on Form: This is a poem written in the form of a “Flip-Flop” hay(na)ku after this variation was first named by Vince Gotera. The "Flip-Flop" alternates the 1-, 2-, 3-word count with 3-, 2-, 1-word count of the hay(na)ku tercet.)






No comments:

Post a Comment