Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Sunday, November 5, 2017

THE ASHBERY TELENOVELA: IT'S RIFFED-OFFED!


Okay, I wanted 300 poems through "The Ashbery Riff-Offs." But I abhor repeating myself and I could sense the project run out of steam by the time of the 140th poem. I'd already taken John Ashbery with me to spaces so far from his universe--even "pagpag"!  So, 140 poems ... even though that 141st poem was looking good. But I think it's better to stop when there's still forward momentum--sort of like how one ends a poem. So 140 poems it is!

And I'd been riffing them off as fast as I could so that ceasing the writing gave me the chance to see what it'd look like as a manuscript. Well, dang: it looks pretty good as a book! Here's manuscript's first cut as a future poetry collection, with (working) title and envisioned sections:


A shot of the current manuscript that I'd organized by manhandling individual poems' pages atop the dining table:


Let the manuscript leave you with a song:


*

Thank you, John Ashbery.  You were one hella telenovela of a dream:


"John Ashbery" by Irene Koronas (which I also consider a telenovela version)



No comments:

Post a Comment