Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Friday, May 29, 2020

GRADUATING FROM BARNARD COLLEGE TO ...



I’m grateful but also stunned by this unexpected article on me “By Barnard Archives and Special Collections.” I wasn’t expecting it, and felt a variety of emotions as I read through it. I feel a little shocked, to tell the truth, because this article  is the first time I get to have a sense of what a third-party would say about my life  based on researching what’s out there. It’s sort of a version of a life which is not immediately familiar to me. That is, while there’s nothing inaccurate in the article, the matters that are emphasized are different choices than what I would have made – thereby giving a different sense of the life that I thought I’d lived. I suppose that’s the difference between biography and autobiography, and/or biography written with or without the subject’s involvement. Anyway, I can only be grateful to Barnard College for the love. And gratitude to BC Class of 2020 students Sarah Barlow-Ochshorn and Jenna Jaquez

***

I should also thank certain poetry groups whose past attention on me or my works ended up being part of Barnard’s sources:
The Argotist
Jacket
Marsh Hawk Press
Our Own Voice
Poetry Foundation
WritingLikeAnAsian

No comments:

Post a Comment