Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

DEAR 5,886-PAGE JOHN BLOOMBERG-RISSMAN,

How magnificent is this accomplishment! I refer to your opus, the nine-volume IN THE HOUSE OF THE HANGMAN, with each volume being about 654 pages. My copy -- MY COPY OF A SINGLE POEM! -- arrived in today's mail and they took over an entire bench:




As a bibliophile, I am on my knees stroking those glossy covers -- the elegant black-and-white presentation of the whole thang fits! No need for ornamentation.  I opened the first volume at random and it even has hay(na)ku!


This helps explain why John, for me, is a Poet's Poet: he is personally modest but, poetically, ambitious. His ambition honors the art.

I will have more to say about this in the future, I'm sure.  All I can say in response is, "Dear 5,886-page John, I promise to read every word." Every. Word. It's the least I can do.

P.S. Now, what are you going to do to top this?!







No comments:

Post a Comment