Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

ON REPRODUCING EMPTY FLAGPOLES


I'm honored/happy to have a poem in ENTROPY, a relatively new(-to-me) journal with very  interesting takes on the world.  I thank poetry editor Michelle Detorie and executive editor Janice Lee for featuring "REPRODUCTIONS OF THE EMPTY FLAGPOLE" from my manuscript, THE CONNOISSEUR OF ALLEYS.

Yes, the poem's title is the same as the book I read--my first U.S.-published book--to generate new lines.  The poem then was written by applying a program inspired by my read of Nick Montfort's fabulous book #! from Counterpath Press (I describe the process in my recent review of Montfort's book).

Again, I'm writing these "I forgot..." poems by applying lines from The MDR Poetry Generator.  What's interesting about this project is that John Bloomberg-Rissman said that the more that I get away from authorial intention, the more the poems become very "Tabiosian" (an adjective once coined by another reader, Allen Bramhall).  I appreciate reads like this--first, the comments show the poems are being read ... and then the comments show the poems are being "understood."  Thank you to every one I mentioned in this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment