Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

BART, WITH(OUT) PHILIP LAMANTIA




16 Years in Bay Area--and, finally, I took the BART for the first time (going from San Francisco to book launch in Berkeley). It was a moment ... because I had promised my first BART ride years ago to be one where Philip Lamantia would be my guide. He would even spring for the fare, the generous poet said. When he passed without that ride taking place, I lost all interest in sampling BART. Friday, I scolded myself, "Toss this silliness aside: get on that subway!" ("Subway"? Well, I'll always be a New Yorker...) So I did, and the experience was both full and empty at the same time. Life is strange -- I'm not sure how I got to be so lucky to spend time with Philip Lamantia, but I did and do miss him. (Here's Garrett Caples on Philip.)





No comments:

Post a Comment