Eileen R. Tabios is a poet working in multiple genres and in-between. She also loves books by writing, reading, publishing, critiquing, romancing and advocating for them. This blog will feature her bibliophilic activities with posts on current book engagements and links to her books and projects related to books.

Friday, March 21, 2014

THE WRITER'S SELFIE = THE WRITER'S DESK

A new blog series!  THE WRITER'S DESK!  You are invited to participate!

I always find it interesting to look at writers' desks.  One of my favorite books is THE WRITER'S DESK which features Jill Krementz's photographs of writers at their desks.  Desks need not be just the furniture known as "desk";  novelist Cathleen Schine, for instance, says about her "desk": "I love my bed. It is larger than a desk and better designed to hold books and papers.  It is softer than a desk and better designed for naps. It is the center of all good things. And, day or night, everyone knows where to fine me."



I am inviting all writers to send me a jpeg photo of their desk and a list of some of its contents (email me at GalateaTEN@aol.com  -- I post my desk and list below as an example.  This, of course, is just a *snapshot* of a writer's day as the desk, over time and with changed priorities by the writer, will change its look.  For now, on March 2, 2014, this is what my desk looked like (but with apologies to brilliant furniture-maker Larry Buechley for covering your lovely art!):




Contents include
--two book stacks of review copies
--three book stacks of To-Read books
--manuscripts for one anthology and two books*
--four composition books for various projects in early stages**
--stack of CDs recently uploaded to computer
--small bag of cookies with mini-chocochips, toffee bits and pecans from a girlfriend who said they go great with hot coffee or Black Russians
--box of Girl Scout "thin mints" cookies (possibly the best of Girl Scout cookies which are not usually that good)
--two calendars
--a folder of material related to my volunteer job as Treasurer and Board member for the local high school's Parent Group 
--a snailmail order for the Pre-Publishing Special for VERSES TYPHOON YOLANDA
--photos of my dogs, my son and Mom


And, yes, one can ask: where's the computer?  I've got a side desk that contains mine (and the rugs beneath are dog rugs because I encourage the dogs to sleep by my ankles to keep me company!):





______
* my 2014 books: VERSES TYPHOON YOLANDA, 14 MILLION ORPHANS (MMXI-MML), and SUN STIGMATAS (SCULPTURE POEMS)

** including for MY UKRAINIAN RUSSIAN NOVEL



No comments:

Post a Comment